Tuesday, May 04, 2004

What's the deal with the "decoys" on the music downloading service Kazaa? For those of you who don't know, "decoys" are files of junk noise masquerading as real songs, which makes it difficult & almost a chore to find the right song. I encountered this problem when I was searching for the Barbra Streisand cover version of Charlie Chaplin's song "Smile", and after finding what I thought was the right one, I played it and what I heard was not "Smile", but "I Finally Found Someone", a duet between Streisand and Bryan Adams! What made it strange was after a few seconds, no sound was heard and therefore, more than 3 minutes were wasted! Why would Kazaa users resort to using those "decoys"? It were as if they were desperately trying to give it away! Another fact: According to a recent article by webzine Slate.com, most of the "decoys" are sneakily seeded into the network by greedy music labels. They are such killjoys who should all burn in hell!!!!! But I still use it anyhow, esp. when finding hard-to-find movie scores like those of Nino Rota and Bernard Herrmann, without having to rummage in every music store in town.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home