Thursday, January 26, 2006


This was drawn by a former artist at Walt Disney Feature Animation after Disney announced it was buying Pixar for approximately $7.4 billion.

When I first heard the news, so many conflicting emotions ran through my head. My other thoughts about the merger:

* I do hope that with John Lasseter now in charge of both the Disney and Pixar animation studios, not only will the production of 2-D animated features resume but also the quality of those films will improve, considering the fact that he had mentioned Pixar doing a 2-D film in the future (plus the fact that he's a big Miyazaki fan may help).

* My biggest problem/fear is the risk of Pixar selling out to corporate Disney thus betraying their ideals, and whether Pixar's film slate will remain consistent both critically and commercially. I hope that never happens, then again, Steve Jobs is now the company's biggest shareholder. Oh well, better this than Michael Eisner. This could mark a new era for Disney.

* First, Dreamworks/Viacom, followed by this and WB/UPN, I wonder what's the next merger will be?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home