Monday, October 30, 2006

My uncle sent me this narrative poem he wrote about his experiences visiting The Big Apple (lucky him!) that I'm now sharing to you, with some minor grammatic edits:

It would be unconscionable to leave New York City
without writing a thing about the buildings in Manhattan,
the view from the ground
as an ant would have seen in her lifetime;

Tenderloins of steel, cubed by the enemies of trees.

I cannot fight it any longer
My muses rattle my fingers
Taxi dancers pressing my thighs
Searching for a pen...
Good! a computer right behind my back

on the second floor of a café on ___st street Queens.

I am just another tourist from Baltimore
Came all the way from Burbank, you know
Universal Studios and all, the sunny weather and all,
But they’re not enough to beat Manhattan.

Forever I shall remember
The torsos of the general public of NY Republic
Brushing their bones against mine
As I pelted hyperactive as a horny coed
Unto the arrowhead of humanity coming to me

Wave after wave after wave.
"Come on", my companion said,

"Hop inside my twin-turboed Volvo and avoid the crowd... C’mon!"
In vain.

The pavement is fodder for my feet,
the warriors and blacks and immigrants in the crowd gave me a high.
"Come to your senses, come on let's use the car."
In vain.

I escaped from the Volvo and walked towards Grand Central Station,
Ogling the ceiling, looking down the newspapaers stacked on the floor
I traipsed like an Aussie aborigine along 5th Avenue.
Went inside a building and watched Ciani’s egg paintings.
Those bloody eggs only made me hungry.

Why were the street names numbers?
45th, 73rd, Sharon Stone and my blacksheep
Uncle’s age displayed for motorists who think its cool to be young.
But why challenge youth? They’ll find out soon

its a lie and a trap and negative.
Forget time and just be glamorous like Manhattan.
I will be leaving New York City happy as a child,
I wasn't in love
Therefore I was not a sorry sight, Agatha.

TOY LLAGUNO
Vorhees, NJ
October 23/06

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home