Wednesday, October 24, 2007

I was at work at Six Flags Magic Mountain when I noticed that the sky had this unusual tint of red. When I saw the sun, I thought there was an eclipse at first. Then I felt a lot of dust being blown by the heavy winds followed by this smell that I would easily associate with wood. That's when I realize there was a wildfire going on. As I was walking to the bus stop headed home, it brought back memories of Mayon's eruption what with the sense of apocalyptic desolation that I have observed from my surroundings.

For the next three days, Santa Clarita (as well as San Diego and Malibu) was swamped by fires from almost all sides. A fire occurred near Magic Mountain but thankfully it was quickly contained. Classes at College of the Canyons were cancelled for 2 days, and me and my sister had to spend a night at my future brother-in-law's house, which was itself near a major wildfire area in Stevenson Ranch.

However, there were good things that came about from these events. I managed to capture the first footage of my camcorder of views of the huge smoke taken from different locations, whoch I plan to upload to YouTube soon. Plus, I was able to do two things I haven't done in a while: go to Pasadena and watch a movie in a arthouse theater/cineplex. The movie was The Darjeeling Limited, which never disappointed though it sucks that it didn't have the short Hotel Chevalier attached to it or the fact that the projector experienced technical difficulties where at times the ads would suddenly pop up and were simulatenously projected on the screen with the movie as it was already playing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home